Mar 22, 2011

Mommy Couponing 101 (pt. 1)

An online mommy friend posted a photo yesterday of a huge stash of goodies from Target.  Using coupons, she purchased everything in the photo for .90 cents! 




After seeing that, I was sold on the power of coupons.  I went to Target today to use a coupon for the first time.  Boy, was I was excited.  This coupon entitled the holder to have 1 regular sized package of organic baby snacks and food by Baby Bellies per coupon!
 
My friend sent me the link to a PDF of the coupon I could print.  
 
I immediately saw my opportunity to fill my cupboard with at least a good 6 months supply of baby snacks for free.  I maxed out my printer's ink supply and marched into Target with a handful of coupons and Henry in tow. Let me tell you, I was in a shopping frenzy.  I couldn't believe it. My head was spinning.  I felt like I had entered a gifting suite reserved for movie stars. Free stuff!  Why haven't I been using coupons all along?  I was actually scared I'd arrived too late and all the other mothers would have cleaned it out. 
 
I was in luck!  There was still product on the shelves. 


I filled my cart with:
3 Oatmeal Cereals
1.
Images
2.
Images
3.
Images
6 Spinach Puffs
1.
Happy_bellies_organic_green_pu
2.
Happy_bellies_organic_green_pu
3.
Happy_bellies_organic_green_pu
4.
Happy_bellies_organic_green_pu
5.
Happy_bellies_organic_green_pu
6.
Happy_bellies_organic_green_pu
6 Banana Puffs
1.
Happy_bellies_organic_banana_p
2.
Happy_bellies_organic_banana_p
3.
Happy_bellies_organic_banana_p
4.
Happy_bellies_organic_banana_p
5. 
Happy_bellies_organic_banana_p
6.
Happy_bellies_organic_banana_p
And 6 Yogurt Melts
1.
Attachment
2.
Attachment
3.
Attachment
4.
Attachment
5.
Attachment
6.
Attachment
I pretty much cleared out Target's supply at the La Brea store.   And then I marched my cart right up to check out and handed my handful of printed out coupons to the sales clerk.  Her eyes bugged out and glazed over as I explained to her exactly how I was going to walk out of the store with this much food without paying anything.   I felt awesome.   And I had my stack of coupons fresh off the press ready to pave the way. 
 
Instead of checking me out though, she called the manager over.  A line started to build up behind my cart and people were getting annoyed.  I took this as an opportunity to let everyone know about this amazing coupon and all the free baby snacks this momma was going to be bringing home.  Nobody seemed impressed.  So I asked if anyone had kids and would they like to use one of my coupons.  Nobody in line had children.  At that point, I realized that the manager still hadn't shown up and I wasn't making any friends.  There was no line sympathy.  People were annoyed.  I told them they better move to another line cause this could take awhile. 
 
The manager finally showed up and explained to me that these coupons are not valid.  They are a part of a scam.  What a buzz kill.  I had such pride in taking all the stock on the shelves. That proverb kept running through my head.  "Pride goeth before the fall"  
 
I left all the merchandise on the checkout belt and I walked out of the store with a handful of useless printed coupons.  Ughh.  This momma has a few things to learn about coupon cutting.  
 
First of all... don't print coupons off the internet.  Second, consider the source before you use all your computer ink. 
 
That's my story.  Now I have to go email all my girlfriends and sisters to let them know it's a scam.  So much for that. 
 
UPDATE: My friend sent me an email from the company.  Apparently the coupon is real!  I'm headed back to Target today to investigate.  Photos to come... 

No comments:

Post a Comment